Monday, June 3, 2019

Fake News

I don't think that the US should adopt the similar legislation because when every article needs to be regulated so heavily, it takes away the aspect of freedom of speech. I don't believe that fake news should be circulated and I would like to see it end, but if everything is regulated by the government then how can people trust that what they say is fake is actually fake. People would have to put a lot of their trust into government officials and to have something so controlled does not sound that ideal to me. I also think that the fine of $740,000 for people who break this law is absolutely absurd and ten years of jail time is also a huge price to pay for fake news. Income is one of the biggest reasons for people to produce fake news, so odds are people are not just going to stop if they are making a healthy profit from it. Companies like Facebook and YouTube would also suffer from this law because they will get fined if fake news is circulated on their sites which brings in even more tight regulation.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your opinion about fake news. I think that the sins of the Singapore government's posting of fake news imposed on the people on a certain platform are too heavy. Furthermore, if the United States government try to get rid of that platform, it will be huge money for the country. I thought the United States government had to think about whether it is necessary to impose such severe punishment in the United States or if there was a profit to the government.

    ReplyDelete